Sunday, March 1, 2015

Fame, money and the love of women

WHY A BLOG: According to Freud we write for three basic reasons: desire for fame, money and the love of women. Well maybe hidden deep down there’s all that, but not only. Like most people, I write because writing helps me putting things into focus. It forces me to be intellectually disciplined in framing a problem, a hypothesis, or a perspective. So that’s why I decided to start this public collection of notes. Now that explains the writing, but why making it public? Well, desire for fame, money and the love of women apart I like to share ideas. I occasionally have some sparks and I love to throw them out and let other people play with those. Yes, I do believe in the propagation of ideas. The hope is that I get feedback and kind challenges that get me to see either deeper or newer perspectives. 

WHY BIOTECH:  I am interested in this sector for many reasons. I am a basic scientist and I run a behavioral neurophysiology lab. While most of my work aims at answering basic questions on perception and emotion (the kind of stuff that lends itself more to philosophical musings than startup ideas – and I like it that way because I think at myself as a humanist at heart), I am also interested in practical approaches. Looking at different pre-clinical and clinical programs allows me to keep an eye on how ideas, approaches and technologies shape into therapies. Also, ideas in academia can be inbred and stale, and looking at how biotech companies try to tackle some problems is refreshing to me. Finally, I don’t mind investing. I like to study programs and spot potential opportunities. While I have never been motivated by money in my life choices, I don’t find anything wrong in profiting from good intuition and from clever readings.

So, this is why I decided to share some ideas on biotech, more specifically about approaches to treat diseases of the central nervous system (CNS). My investments, like my readings, extend beyond that (after all as an MD I had to study the whole body), but I will not share ideas that are outside my area of expertise. WHY CNS? First, I feel comfortable sticking to my area of competence, second I think it’s an area of great opportunities. I believe in the next years the sector is going to be propelled by the tremendous progress made in basic neuroscience. New targets, new tools, new diagnostics and new delivery methods will emerge soon as we understand more about the molecular, cellular and circuit bases of diseases.  I will share some of my thoughts on new and groundbreaking approaches, but I will not shy away from analyzing some of the current trials that rely on more traditional approaches.

Some of my posts will be actionable, but nothing of what I will write should be taken as an investment advice. Actually, the only advice you should take is not to buy anything based on what you read on this blog. In the best-case scenario, my writings should be used as a first step in your DD process. For this reason, I’ll share references and emphasize pro and cons of every program.

Ok, that’s it for now with this intro post.  I hope you will find it fun and helpful. Ah by the way, it will be free. I do not plan to make any money out of it. If at some point you’ll find value in my writings, you could express gratitude by donating to the research foundations that I’ll occasionally mention as I cover various diseases.

1 comment:

  1. Are you in San Diego. Perhaps you may want to join my informal bio-tech advisory group. www.eaglehilladvisor.com

    ReplyDelete